4 kids, various pets. I like to run, hike, ski, random road trips, take tons of pictures with my Nikon D40 in hopes that a couple turn out, and any new activity with calculated risks. I'm in school and at some point plan on having a medical based major. I love music.

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Mother's Day

I know it's a Hallmark day, but I've grown up with it and, like it or not, it means something to me.
Last week while I was running the Eugene marathon I had support from so many family members that came to watch, and cheer, and in Jim's case- run with me.
My mom meets me in the same spot every year, around mile 8. This year I saw her first. As I was calling for her, I really got a look at her face. Looking past me, for me. Really looking hard, and hopeful, and- I guess I just recognised it as the look you have when your watching your kids and so proud. The way I look at my kids. I really wished I could get a picture of her face.
After I called her a few times and slowed just a bit, she saw me and was all flustered trying to get a picture- then she took off down the road ahead of me so she could get another picture. This is the picture.
It's the only picture of me looking happy during the race, and I'm happy because of her. I wish I had time to stop and hug her and tell her how much that look in her eyes meant to me. I'll never forget it.

1 comment:

  1. i'm just re-reading all of these, clearly because i'm supposed to be doing homework but i'm too excited for your arrival! I love this post, well all of them, but this one deserves a big fat hug of a comment.

    ReplyDelete